Thursday, October 22, 2009

In-depth news takes a backseat to website promotion

From Ms Joanna Davis.

Sir, This is the first occasion on which I have contacted a journalist to comment on anything, but I simply had to tell Philip Stephens how much I agree with his comments on the BBC.

During my 20 years based in Hong Kong, I have been a constant user of the BBC, both television and, more importantly, the BBC World Service radio. BBC World News simply advises me to go online after a three-minute “wrap” on major world news items or – even more maddeningly – prompts me to feed it content via its website. Isn't that their job? What is the problem? I now watch al-Jazeera or ABC from Australia, both of which concentrate on news, with some depth.

But the radio, so important! Documentaries, interviews and the simply splendidly lucid Peter Day and others remain first class but, again, what has happened to the news content? News with context and background? There are no paid advertisements eating into airtime, but “soundbites” of news stories, not coverage!

I am convinced that if I listen or watch with a stopwatch, and time the amount of BBC website self-promotion, it will outweigh the "gap" for "real news".

Thank you, Mr Stephens, for a jolly good article, and thank heavens you chaps are still hitting the mark daily.

Joanna Davis,

0 comments:

Post a Comment